Articles of interest

Saturday, February 7, 2015

The Simple Ways of Ministry

A famous quote attributed to the film director Woody Allen is “Ninety percent of success is just showing up,” or some variation on that. After spending a couple of minutes poking around online I found that the quote actually is "Showing up is eighty percent of life." What he meant by that, he said in a later interview, was that actually doing something rather than simply dreaming about it was what was important in life.

I thought of this recently at a local nursing home service. At this particular nursing home I don’t usually have a large group, perhaps seven or eight at best. This particular day two women were there. They are usually at the service. Both of them seem to be dementia patients, and appear to have been active in a church in their younger years. One was Roman Catholic, the other (I believe) Episcopalian. We sat around a table, just the three of us, and we sang a familiar hymn, “In the Garden.” That seems to be a nursing home favorite. I believe I have all three verses memorized. I said a prayer, read a scripture passage and then shared communion with them before saying another prayer and singing another familiar hymn, “Blessed Assurance.” It’s a good thing I can sing reasonably well, because at these services I’m sometimes the only person singing. That wasn’t the case this particular day, however. At some services some of the residents seem completely non-responsive. When we sign a familiar hymn, I will often see a couple of people mouthing the words to the hymn. Music has a very strange way of reaching a person who for any number of reasons is not able to communicate with others.

This brief devotional service wasn’t terribly profound, but it meant a great deal to these two women. It reminded me that ministry doesn’t always have to be complicated. Sometimes, simply taking the time to be there is what matters the most. Showing up.

These services are the most ecumenical activity I engage in during the week. At every service I do there is a diversity of denominations represented—Roman Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, UCC, and others. Rarely does anyone decline taking communion because I am not a priest or pastor in their denomination. They understand the common nature of faith. For my part, I have gained a broader perspective. At one of these services someone always addresses me as “Father.” Years ago I resisted it,out of fear that people might think I was pretending to be something I’m not. I’ve come to see being called “Father” as a title of respect, and of trust. When someone calls me “Father” I feel as though they are saying that they trust me.

It took me a long time to learn that ministry can take place in very simple ways. Jesus defines it in recognizing that where two or three are gathered, there he is also. (Matthew 18:20) What we do to minister to others in Christ’s name doesn’t have to be elaborate or expensive. Just showing up is a very good start, and it may be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment